Dale Carnegie’s famous book How to win friends and influence people for boys and girls is worth a read for sure. If we have to summarize the whole book in a sentence, then it’s all about making friends, influencing others, etc. Moreover, we can also learn how to look after our self-esteem. Of course, this occurs after a change in our everyday behavior.
So, Dale, the author of the book published it in the year 1936. It’s also worth noting that over 30 million copies have been sold all around the globe. Therefore, we can say that it’s one of the best-selling books. In addition, it’s also the 19th best book as per Time Magazine’s list of 100 most influential books.
Furthermore, we can say that Dale Carnegie embedded all his life experience into this book How To Win Friends and Influence People for boys and girls. So, as per convenience, we can summarize the book into 30 principles. In addition, we can also categorize these 30 principles into four parts in the book.
So, in this article, we will take a glance at some of those principles in the book.
Short Summary/Principles In The Book ‘How To Win Friends And Influence People
The book has a lot of principles that we can follow in our life. So, this book, How To Win Friends and Influence People for boys and girls, in general, describes the proper ways of life. So, without further ado, let’s check out some of those principles.
Fundamental Techniques In Handling People.
Dale, in the first part of the book, laid down a few principles.
- Don’t criticize, don’t complain, and of course, don’t condemn. Dale even said, “Criticism is futile because it puts a person on the defensive and usually makes them strive to justify themselves.”
- Next, you should also compliment honestly and sincerely.
- Thereafter, you should also give people what they want. In other words, you shouldn’t give what ‘you’ want. Moreover, Dale even says that only we take interest in what we want. However, it’s not the same for everyone and that’s why we should give people what they want.
Six Ways To Make People Like You According To The Second Part
Now, let’s talk about the next part of the book How to win friends and influence people for boys and girls. So, in this part, Dale mentions six ways that can make people like you. Well, without further ado, let’s check out some of the fundamentals so those ways.
- First of all, it’s essential to bypass an argument. According to Dale, it’s useless to win an argument and the same goes with losing. Therefore, it’s better to entirely let go of the argument.
- Next, one should also show or pay respect to others’ opinions. He said, “if you are going to prove anything, don’t let anybody know it…” In fact, he advised us to do it subtly, adroitly, so that no one could feel that we are doing it.
- Remember a person’s name and show that they are important to you.
- Encourage others and listen.
- Next, you should talk to people about their interests.
How To Win People To Our Way Of Thinking
- So, it’s important to avoid controversy.
- Admit if you are wrong with promptness and energy.
- A friendly note is a key to success.
- Next, you should also ask questions that will make people say ‘Yes’.
- Make the person with whom you are talking feel comfortable.
- Allowing a person the pleasure to think that it was their idea.
- Next, you should view things from others’ perspectives.
- Having a welcoming attitude and accepting others’ ideas and desires.
Being A Leader & Changing People
In the fourth part, you can include:
- Sincere praise while talking.
- Criticize and don’t get hate.
- Talk about your own mistakes first.
- Next, you should also ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Praising the progress with a generous heart.
- Moreover, you should also give a good reputation to the deserving ones.
- Suggesting something and making people happy.